Professional whitening or a dentist-supervised procedure is the best and safest way to remove tooth stains and discoloration. This starts with a consultation, followed by cleaning to remove the surface stains caused by your habits, as well as foods and beverages. Your dentist will then evaluate your oral health and discuss your options.
Learning More about Your Options
Teeth whitening dentists in Medford, MA note that it is important to make sure that you are a good candidate before trying any product or pursuing any procedure. If you’re looking for the immediate and long-lasting results, an in-office treatment is your best choice. Your First Dental dentist may also prepare custom-fit trays that you can use at home for a few or several weeks.
The Risk with Over-the-Counter Products
Over-the-counter kits and other teeth whiteners are also available, but not all of them can produce immediate and long-lasting results. This is because they have lower concentrations of whitening agents than what the dentists use. There is also the risk of dental problems like tooth sensitivity and gum irritation if the product or the chemicals are not applied correctly.
Keeping Your Teeth Bright
You may find that whitening is fairly easy and convenient after consulting a dentist. You can also enjoy whiter teeth after just a single visit. This means that you won’t have to try different whiteners just to find which one can effectively brighten your smile. The results of professional whitening, however, are not permanent. You have to do your part to keep your teeth white.
- Avoid or limit exposure to dark-colored foods and beverages such as tea, coffee, wine, cola, and berries.
- Brush using whitening toothpaste to remove and avoid surface stains. Don’t forget to floss.
- See your dentist for regular cleanings and checkup.
- Avoid or quit smoking.
- Rinse your mouth with water after consuming stain-causing foods or beverages. You should also brush your teeth an hour after eating.
- Use a straw when drinking beverages that stain such as tea or coffee.
Start your journey toward a brighter smile by visiting a dentist. This is to know more about your options, as well as procedures that suit your budget and situation.